This project contains a multi-tier microservices application. It is a web-based e-commerce app called “Hipster Shop”, where users can browse items, add them to the cart, and purchase them.
|Home Page||Checkout Screen|
Hipster Shop is composed of many microservices, written in different languages, that talk to each other over gRPC and REST API.
We are not endorsing the architecture of Hipster Shop as the best way to build such a shop! The architecture is optimized for learning purposes and includes modern stack: Kubernetes, GKE, Istio, Ops Management, App Engine, gRPC, OpenTelemetry, and similar cloud-native technologies.
Find the gRPC protocol buffer descriptions in the
|frontend||Go||Exposes an HTTP server to serve the website. Does not require signup/login, and generates session IDs for all users automatically.|
|cartservice||C#||Manages the items in the user’s shipping cart by using Redis.|
|productcatalogservice||Go||Provides the list of products from a JSON file and the ability to search and retrieve products.|
|currencyservice||Node.js||Converts one currency to another, using real values fetched from the European Central Bank. It’s the highest QPS service.|
|paymentservice||Node.js||Charges the given credit card info (hypothetically😇) with the given amount and returns a transaction ID.|
|shippingservice||Go||Gives shipping-cost estimates based on the shopping cart. Ships items to the given address (hypothetically😇).|
|emailservice||Python||Sends users an order-confirmation email (hypothetically😇).|
|checkoutservice||Go||Retrieves a user’s cart, prepares the order, and orchestrates payment, shipping, and email notification.|
|recommendationservice||Python||Recommends other products based on what’s in the user’s cart.|
|adservice||Java||Provides text ads based on given context words.|
|loadgenerator||Python/Locust||Continuously sends requests that imitate realistic shopping flows to the frontend.|
|ratingservice||Python3||Manages ratings of the shop’s products. Runs on App Engine.|
- Kubernetes/GKE: The app is designed to run on Google Kubernetes Engine.
- gRPC: Microservices use a high volume of gRPC calls to communicate to each other.
- OpenTelemetry Tracing: Most services are instrumented using OpenTelemetry tracers and interceptors which handle trace context propagation through gRPC and HTTP.
- Ops Management APM and SRE: Many services are instrumented with Profiling, Tracing, Debugging, Monitoring, Logging and Error Reporting.
- Skaffold: A tool used for doing repeatable deployments. You can deploy to Kubernetes with a single command using Skaffold.
- Synthetic Load Generation: The application demo comes with dedicated load generation service that creates realistic usage patterns on Hipster Shop website using Locust load generator.
- Google App Engine: PaaS for running Web applications and services.
- Google Cloud SQL: Fully managed relational database service for MySQL, PostgreSQL and SQL Server.